What type of information does Sons of The Flag collect?
There are two basic types of information that Sons of The Flag might collect: personal and non-personal information.
As you browse the Sons of The Flag website, you may opt to provide Sons of The Flag with personal information. Personal information is information that contains identifiers such as your name, address, phone number, or email address.
In addition to personal and non-personal information, we ask for billing information, such as your billing address and credit card number, when you make a donation or purchase a product or service. We use secure servers to gather and process your billing information. These secure servers are hosted by our agent, Authorize.Net, which is bound by our site policies. Your billing information is not shared with any other organizations, and your credit card number is not retained once your transaction has been authorized and processed.
All transactions use an encrypted channel, take place on secure servers and occur in real time. No financial data, such as your credit card number, is transferred via a less-secure channel, such as encrypted e-mail, for processing. Moreover, once your transaction has been completed, your credit card number is not retained.
When does Sons of The Flag collect this information?
We collect non-personal information from you as you use any of the pages on our website. We collect personal information from you only when you specifically provide it to us – for example, if you fill out a form, make a donation or purchase, or send us an email.
How does Sons of The Flag use the information we collect?
Sons of The Flag uses information from different site visitors in different ways. For example, if you are a donor, we may use your information to provide you with necessary tax information or share information with parties who process the donations. Generally, Sons of The Flag may use your information in the following ways:
- Entering your information into our databases for internal record keeping, reporting, and data analysis
- Communicating with you to obtain your input, provide information about our programs and events, or request contributions (provided you have opted to receive such communications)
- Improving our programs and services
- Customizing our website according to your interests
- Sharing information with third parties who help us manage our website and databases, and who assist us with our marketing efforts
- Sharing information with third parties as required by law, or a part of a legal process
We also reserve the right to use non-personal information, such as an IP address, to identify a user when we believe it is necessary to protect the compelling interests of our websites, the individuals we serve, their families, our supporters, our employees, or others, or to comply with laws, court orders, or law enforcement requests.
Does Sons of The Flag share my information?
Sons of The Flag may share your personal and non-personal information as discussed herein. We do not, however, sell or rent the personal information of our general website users for profit.
Does Sons of The Flag track my online activity while I’m not on the Sons of The Flag site?
Cookies and other technology may be used to track non-personal information about your web-browsing habits. For example, if a significant portion of our visitors all browse to the same website immediately after visiting Sons of The Flag’s website, we may use this information to improve your experience at our site.
Sons of The Flag respects web browser “do not track” signals and other mechanisms that provide you the ability to opt out of having your personal information or online activities collected. But remember, unless you have selected the “do not track” function in your web browser, third parties (not just Sons of The Flag) may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different websites.
How does Sons of The Flag secure my personal information?
Sons of The Flag is committed to ensuring that your personal information is secure. Your trust in us is important, so we have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. Records containing personal information are stored at secure facilities; our websites use SSL (a tool used to verify the legitimacy of a website); and our employees are provided training on how to treat your data securely.
Will you contact me if I give Sons of The Flag my information?
If you provide us with your contact information, we may provide you with information about how you can get involved with Sons of The Flag. However, if you would not like to receive these messages, you can opt out of having your personal information used for certain purposes when we ask for your contact information.
In certain jurisdictions, in accordance with applicable privacy laws, you may be entitled to one or more of the following rights:
- The right to request details of the information we hold about you and how we process it
- The right to have that information rectified or deleted
- The right to restrict our processing of that information
- The right to have personal information relating to you transferred to another organization
- The right to object to the processing of your personal information and to withdraw any consent in relation to your data (although any objection or withdrawal of consent could mean we are unable to perform the actions necessary to provide our services to you or otherwise fulfill the purpose for which we have requested the information)
- The right to lodge a complaint about us with a local supervisory authority
Please note that even if you have chosen to withdraw your consent and have the right under applicable law to do so, we may be able to continue thereafter to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law, in particular in connection with exercising and defending our legal rights or meeting our legal and regulatory obligations.
To exercise your rights in relation to the data we hold, please use the contact details in “Contact Us” below.”
Links to other websites and third party services
Sometimes we’ll provide you with a link to another website or service. We typically do this in order to provide you additional information about one of our sponsors or to others who support the mission of Sons of The Flag.
How do I update my information?
Please email us at email@example.com.
Do you collect information about minors?
This website is not directed at children under the age of 13 and does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If this website obtains actual knowledge that it has obtained personal information about a child under the age of 13, that information will be immediately and permanently deleted from our records.
What if I have questions about this policy?
We’d love to hear from you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail us a letter at 12700 Park Central Drive, Ste 304, Dallas, TX 75251.
You may request your information stored on this site, or delete it, using the tools at the bottom of this page or on the Privacy Tools page.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Information about cookies
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
We/us (either capitalized or not) – Sons of the Flag
Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited with a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Data Subject’s rights
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Data we gather
Information you have provided us with
This might be your e-mail address, name, billing address, home address etc – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a product/service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order for you to comment or perform other activities on the website. This information includes, for example, your name and e-mail address.
Information automatically collected about you
This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools. For example, your shopping cart information, your IP address, your shopping history (if there is any) etc. This information is used to improve your customer experience. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged.
Information from our partners
We gather information from our trusted partners with confirmation that they have legal grounds to share that information with us. This is either information you have provided them directly with or that they have gathered about you on other legal grounds. See the list of our partners here.
Publicly available information
We might gather information about you that is publicly available.
“Web Beacons” are graphic image files imbedded in a web page typically used to monitor activity on a web page and send back to its home server (which can belong to the host site, a network advertiser or some other third party) information from your browser, such as the IP address, the URL of the page on which the beacon is located, the type browser that is accessing the site and the ID number of any Cookies on your computer previously placed by that server.
How we use your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service to you. This includes for example registering your account; providing you with other products and services that you have requested; providing you with promotional items at your request and communicating with you in relation to those products and services; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your customer experience;
- fulfil an obligation under law or contract;
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and/or with your Consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you a service or to send/offer you a product;
- to communicate either for sales or invoicing.
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to send you personalized offers* (from us and/or our carefully selected partners);
- to administer and analyze our client base (purchasing behavior and history) in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of products/ services offered/provided;
- to conduct questionnaires concerning client satisfaction.
As long as you have not informed us otherwise, we consider offering you products/services that are similar or same to your purchasing history/browsing behaviour to be our legitimate interest.
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to send you newsletters and campaign offers (from us and/or our carefully selected partners);
- for other purposes we have asked your consent for.
- to enroll you in our services, assistance programs or volunteer positions. In such cases you allow us to verify the information provided using any legal means available to us.
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfil obligation rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymise Personal Data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this Policy only when it is anonymized. We save your billing information and other information gathered about you for as long as needed for accounting purposes or other obligations deriving from law.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here, but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing;
- the further Processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be appropriate safeguard for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
Who else can access your Personal Data
We do not share your Personal Data with strangers. Personal Data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted partners in order to either make providing the service to you possible or to enhance your customer experience. We share your data with:
Connected third parties:
We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so. We might disclose your Personal Data to third parties if you have consented to it or if there are other legal grounds for it.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We use anonymizing and pseudonymising where suitable. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
Even though we try our best we can not guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
If you have an account with us, note that you have to keep your username and password secret.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our services.
Cookies and other technologies we use
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions.
- Necessary cookies – these cookies are required for you to be able to use some important features on our website, such as logging in. These cookies don’t collect any personal information.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies provide functionality that makes using our service more convenient and makes providing more personalised features possible. For example, they might remember your name and e-mail in comment forms so you don’t have to re-enter this information next time when commenting.
- Analytics cookies – these cookies are used to track the use and performance of our website and services
- Advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver advertisements that are relevant to you and to your interests. In addition, they are used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement. They are usually placed to the website by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. These cookies remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organisation.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Representative Contact in the EU
Phone: +353 57 868 4800
Last modification was made May 25, 2018.
Please identify yourself via e-mail
Join the Task Force
Sons of the Flag invites you to positively impact the lives of burn survivors across the nation.
You Can Help Burn Survivors
Your donation supports our efforts to improve the lives of military service members and first responders who have survived burn injuries.
Sons of the Flag
is a registered non-profit